Pillar of Truth

Thank you for visiting my blog today. This is a place where I will examine my thoughts on Christ, His Church, my Faith, and how to live for Him. God Bless.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Bible vs. The Bible?

Thus far I have not given many clues as to what my faith is. I was hoping for some response to my previous post before I did so, and I was going to try to remain "religiously anonymous" for a bit longer. However, I have been reading another blogger's posts today that have been calling out to me to take a stand. These posts have been very critical and misleading about my faith and the latest one has in it what I can only see as an outright lie about my faith. I feel so sorry for this person. She is misleading so many people. She has said that she averages about 1100 hits a day on her site, so many people are reading her posts and I'm sure a lot of people trust her to be giving them the full truth.

This is her latest post: http://myblessedhome.blogspot.com/2006/08/my-answers-to-catholic-reader.html. In it she states:

"Yes, let's do take a look at the Douay Rheims Catholic Bible... I looked up Exodus 20, and sure enough, the first commandment does not say that a Catholic cannot have any other gods, however the Christian commandment from a Christian Bible says not to have any other gods besides the one true God. This commandment needed to be removed from the Catholic Bible, because even though Catholics may not specifically call Mary a "god," they give Godly attributes to her, and treat her as a god. "(emphasis mine)

What really irritated me here is that this is completely untrue. (Note: to this lady the only "Christian" Bible is the King James version)

Look for yourself at what the Douay Rheims Bible says: http://www.latinvulgate.com/verse.aspx?t=0&b=2&c=20. You can see that the Douay Rheims Bible is translated more closely to the Latin Vulgate than even the KJV bible is. Here are all three versions:
Exodus 20
3Thou shalt not have strange gods before me. (D-R)
non habebis deos alienos coram me (LV)
Thou shalt have no other gods before me. (KJV)
(emphasis mine)

The Douay Rheims is more in line with what the Latin Vulgate says. What's even more, my Catholic New American Bible (a newer Bible written in modern English) says in Exodus 20:3 "You shall not have other gods besides me." This lady's problem seems to be in that the Douay Rheims says "strange gods" whereas her version says "other gods." Well, the NAB (which most American Catholics use) uses the exact same word as hers, so I guess that her point is null.
Next she says this:

"Now, take a look at the Catholic second commandment. It mentions nothing of it being wrong to bow down to graven images, yet the Christian Bible's second commandment says straight out that you are not to bow to graven images."

Let's see those three versions on this verse:
Exodus 20
5Thou shalt not adore them, nor serve them: I am the Lord thy God, mighty, jealous, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me: (D-R)
non adorabis ea neque coles ego sum Dominus Deus tuus fortis zelotes visitans iniquitatem patrum in filiis in tertiam et quartam generationem eorum qui oderunt me (LV)
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; (KJV)
(emphasis mine)

Again she seems to take issue with the specific word that is used for worshiping grave images. However, as you can see, the Douay Rheims is more in line with the Latin Vulgate on this point also. No matter, let’s look at the Catholic Bible most American Catholics use (the NAB) and see what it says in Exodus 20:5, "you shall not bow down before them or worship them." Hmm, again we see that her point is moot.

Next she tries to prove that Catholics put Mary on a pedestal by "changing" Genesis 3:15:

I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel. (D-R)
inimicitias ponam inter te et mulierem et semen tuum et semen illius ipsa conteret caput tuum et tu insidiaberis calcaneo eius (LV)
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. (KJV)
(emphasis mine)

Although the Latin is a little harder in this verse you can see that the word her/she is "tuum" by the phrase "et semen tuum et semen" ~ "thy seed and her seed," There again it seems that the Douay Rheims is in agreement with the ancient Latin Vulgate.

This lady claims that the Douay Rheims was changed in this instance "to show Mary as the Savior, instead of Jesus Christ." This is completely untrue! Catholics have never believed that Mary is the Savior! In fact the NAB doesn't agree with either of these versions. It says, "He will strike at your head, while you strike at his heel."

These are just a few of the misrepresentations of the Catholic faith that this woman has shown on her blog. I have invited her to e-mail me with any questions, but apparently she has decided she knows enough by reading her own very anti-Catholic sources.

I truly feel sorry for this woman, and am praying for her now. She is leading so many good-hearted people into a bog. I pray that one day she will see that she was mistaken, and I pray that all who read her blog won't be fooled the way she has been. Candy, you are in my prayers.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sue Bee said...

Hi Amelia,
I'm not a Roman Catholic, but I too have problems with Candy's blog. I've been reading it for a few months and these are some of the observations I have made:

1. Notice her emphasis is on "Bible believing" rather than on "Christ believing", especially when she advises people seeking a church home. Her own testimony is called "My Bible Journey" and is about how she came to the conclusion that the KJV is the only Bible that is the Word of God. Her testimony has little or nothing to say about developing a faith in Christ as her Savior.

2.She controls the comments to her blog and therefore is always in control of the argument. Sending a well reasoned comment that she doesn't agree with is a waste of time. Reading how she runs her household I think "controlling" is a character trait that describes her well.

3.There are inconsistancies in her arguments but I don't think she realizes it. Such as, she condemns the Latin Vulgate as corrupt yet cites it to prove that the Comma Johanneum is valid.

4.I've read that fundamentalists (whether they are Christian/Protestant/Catholic or Islamic) such as Candy, believe they have a unique relationship with God and that their ideas are the same as God's ideas. Since they are speaking for God anyone who disagrees with them is inherently wrong. It is impossible for a fundamentalist to admit they are wrong. Discussion is a moot point because it implies equality, so they refuse to talk to anyone who disagrees with them. Thus the sycophants are the only ones to have their comments published.

I commented on her site and blogged on my own site about one of her anti-Catholic rants - the one about Catholics removing the 2nd commandment. You should take a look at the responses I got! Any reasonable person can see that the prohibition against idols is alive & well in the 1st commandment. But, since her KJV Bible doesn't number them that way any other numbering wrong (I guess she doesn't realize the numbers by the commandments in the KJV were put in by the publisher and not by God.) Apparently the KJV even trumps the Torah when it comes to Old Testament accuracy!

There are plenty of blogs where informed protestants and catholics are able to debate openly. And, there are plenty of blogs that offer Christian homemakers a chance to exchange ideas without having their faith attacked. I'm opting to read those blogs instead.

Have a blessed day!

August 26, 2006 2:58 AM  
Blogger Amelia said...

Sue,
Excellent comment! Thank you for visiting; I will have to come over to your site!
Amelia

August 28, 2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

Thank you for taking a stand on this. I suspected when I responded to Candy's original post that I might be the only Catholic response that saw the light of day.

Now I have to wonder if Candy's readership has suffered because of her insistence on always being right. Perhaps her pride won't allow her to admit that in this case she isn't an expert.

I pray that she won't be so quick to judge in the future and that her readers won't take her word as "the gospel" before they check for themselves.

August 28, 2006 4:15 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Thanks for this post, Amelia! I started a response to the same post a few days ago before I decided I just couldn't do it anymore with this lady. I even called Catholic Answers to speak to an apologist!

Thanks for your visit to my blog, as well! I'm adding yours to my favorites!

Courtney

August 28, 2006 6:26 PM  
Blogger Erika S. said...

Amelia,
Thank you so much for the kind comments left on my blog. I am the one who was verbally sparing with Candi. WOW she can really frustrate a person. She is very good at twisting what you post and only printing what she thinks she can refute. She should work for the New York Times!
I have been reading her BLOG for about a year now but I was only interested in the homemaking sections and I tried to avoid the Catholic ones as I had a feeling she was not very excepting of the Faith. I just do not get people like her. She seems so smart and hard working yet she is also blinded by pride. I can accept that she is a Christian I just do not see why she can not get the plank out of her own eye.
Great Blog I will visit often.
Erika

August 29, 2006 8:26 AM  
Blogger Amelia said...

Chrissy,
I honestly do hope that Candy's readership has suffered, but only because of all the misinformation she's dealing out. If she just stuck with all the homemaking and organization topics that she is really great at it would be a wonderful blog! Speaking of which, I want to visit yours, too! Do you have one??

Courtney,
Wow! I never even thought of calling Catholic Answers! I go to the website often and the forums all the time, though. I live in the Bible Belt and deal with this type of thing all the time, even within my own family, so I don't know, maybe I'm just used to it. It's just so hard for us Catholics to give short, concise answers to anti-Catholics' charges because our faith isn't simple, nor should it be.

Erika,
I agree with you 100%! I read her blog for a long time and had started a home management binder based on hers. I had her cleaning schedules all printed out and everything. It didn't really matter to me at first that she was a KJV fundamentalist, then I started looking at some of her older posts, and decided I just couldn't look up to her any longer. I actually stopped reading for quite a while, until for some reason, last week I decided to pop in and see what she was up to. Wow!! While I was gone she really got busy tearing us down! (Or trying to I should say!)

Thanks for all the great comments! I'm actually surprized that I haven't gotten any bad ones yet. Now that I have said that I will probably get a flood! I will try to post some more good reading very soon!

Amelia

August 29, 2006 9:43 AM  
Blogger Brandon Ace said...

So if it says it's wrong, then why DO you do it in the first place...? Why do people bow to the pope, and why is he so revered? Does he not commit the same amount of sin as the common man sitting in a Baptist church? Isn't all sin equal in God's eyes? Isn't that what the bible says? Wasn't Jesus the only man to be "sinless?" If so then why do a lot of catholics claim Mary to be sinless? Wouldn't that refute the bible, ergo refuting God's word, therefore making any sort of Christianity a "moot" point? Does not the bible speak of forgiveness coming from the TRUE holy father, not the church priest's, and if so what is the point of confession? What makes your pope greater than I? Does not the bible say we are all priests? Is focusing your prayers on a saint, or on Mary, or etc. not focusing your attention on them, if not for a brief moment, and if so doesn't this contradict the "thou shalt not adore" part? Again, why must I pray to Mary to pray to Jesus for me... when I can pray to Jesus at any time, and I am in constant prayer with him as I go about my day? Just a few questions to mull over.

March 01, 2008 2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home